Facility on Justice in Conflict and Transition
Supporting transitional justice and constitution-building for the European Union
The Facility on Justice in Conflict and Transition provides short-term strategic support and expert advice in the areas of transitional justice, constitution building and restoration of justice for the population, at the request of the European Union. It is financed through the Instrument contributing to Stability and Peace (IcSP) of the European Commission’s Service for Foreign Policy Instruments (FPI).
The purpose of the Facility on Justice in Conflict and Transition is to support transitional justice and constitution building processes in third countries affected by conflict or in transition upon request of the EU through:
- Provision of access to short term expertise, including the deployment of experts specialised in transitional justice and/or constitution- building covering a wide range of thematic and geographic areas.
- Design and delivery of coaching, training, workshops and dialogues of varying duration to support country processes.
- Research and development of knowledge products, contextual and comparative analyses, case studies, and guidance notes to
support country processes.
The consortium responsible for implementing the Facility on Justice in Conflict and Transition comprises the International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance International IDEA as consortium leader, Conciliation Resources CR, the International Center for Transitional Justice ICTJ, the Toledo International Centre for Peace – Colombia CITpax-Colombia, and the Swiss Peace Foundation swisspeace.
- The consortium members have been at the forefront of developing policy, providing technical support and managing projects worldwide in the areas of constitution-building and key legislation, restoration of justice for the population, and formal and community-based transitional justice processes.
- The consortium members have direct and rapid access to highly skilled senior and junior experts, who have provided and continue to provide advice and assistance in virtually all contexts in which issues related to transitional justice and constitution building have arisen.